The Gill Center for Plastic Surgery & Dermatology
121 Vision Park Blvd, Suite 100
Shenandoah, TX 77384
Phone: (281) 853-5308
M-Th 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
F 8 a.m.–2 p.m.
Acne: Causes and Prevention
Everyone suffers from acne at some point in their lives. This is a condition that occurs when the pores of the skin are blocked because of excessive oil, bacteria, or dead skin. However, there are many other factors that can cause you to break out with this troublesome problem. A few of them include:
Hormonal Changes: A change in hormones caused by a fluctuating menstrual cycle or puberty can lead to acne. A change in hormones can occur in both men and women. The unsightly acne can find its way on the forehead, chin, neck, and the back.
Adverse Reactions to Specific Cosmetic Products: Using certain soaps, lotions, and other cosmetics can lead to the formation of acne. People with oily skin are more prone to breaking out with acne in this case. It is essential to use products that are free of oil but are water based.
Stress: Feeling a large amount of stress can take a tremendous toll on your body. Among all the things that can be caused by stress, acne is one of the most common. If you’re feeling worried or anxious all the time, there’s a chance that your acne may be the result of this.
Poor Diet: A poor diet that includes an excessive intake of greasy foods, heavy unhealthy meals at odd times, and drinking a lot of alcohol can cause you to develop poor skin quality and bring about an acne breakout.
Environmental Factors: Being exposed to harmful environmental factors such as pollution can cause you to break out with acne.
Limited Exercise: Exercising can promote optimal skin health and provide you with clear and healthy skin. When you live a sedentary lifestyle, different aspects of your body will start to degrade and this includes the quality of your skin. If you aren’t active, you may notice the development of acne.
Acne does not have to take over your entire life. There are steps you can take to prevent it from becoming too problematic.
- Take time out to yourself to ease your mind and relinquish stress as much as possible. Not only will this promote healthier skin, but it can also improve your mental health.
- While it may seem difficult to completely avoid pollutants, it is possible to limit its effects on your body. You can carry wipes that you can use periodically to wipe off the dirt and debris that accumulates on the skin. You should also remember to wear sunscreen to keep protected from the Sun’s rays.
- Not everyone is built the same, and there are differences in the type of skin that we have. In order to take good care of your skin health, you should seek the expertise of a dermatologist and find suitable skincare products for you.
- If you take time out of your day to exercise regularly, you’ll notice a significant improvement throughout your entire body. One of the changes you’ll notice is an improvement in your skin tone and a reduction in acne.
Learn More About the Causes of Acne and How to Prevent Them
If you’re interested in learning more about acne and what you can do to fight it, Gill Plastic Surgery can help. Contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Paul Gill today.
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.